Thursday, September 1, 2011

An 80’s Cover Band by the name of . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . “The ReTRo Band”;

Photo

I’d like to introduce you to one of Virginia’s top 80’s cover bands.  They’re called “The ReTRo Band” and they are from New Castle, VA.  Covering artists such as Night Ranger, Bon Jovi, Toto, Journey, Bryan Adams and many more from the 80's classic rock era, they have done an excellent job capturing the essence of that decade along with the sound and the appearance, as far as I can see. 

The members of the band are by name and by instrument:

Mike Carper -Lead Vocals, Chad Campbell –Keyboard and Vocals, Jim Looney –Bass Guitar, Tim Leftwich –Drums and Vocals and finally their newest member from Erie, PA, Kevin Bort -Lead Guitar and Vocals.

Photo Preview

“The ReTRo Band” from New Castle, VA


I’ve heard a lot great things about “The ReTRo Band” but after hearing some of their recordings for myself, I am very impressed.  I must admit to a bias; guitarist and vocalist Kevin Bort is an old friend of mine.  Kevin and I played in a band together back in the 70’s that I have written about here before, called “JORDAN” . . . .

Jordan in 1978_02     Jordan_002D_KevinBort

               Kevin Bort, rhythm and lead guitarist of JORDAN in the 70’s


Here is Kevin as he looks today with his white hair, playing the guitar like he was 18 years old again. I remember how good a guitarist Kevin was in high school, and now I know he has become one of the hottest rock guitarists around. I am very proud to say that I once shared a stage with him.   

Photo Preview

Kevin Bort, lead guitarist of “The ReTRo Band”


I do not know the rest of the band members personally, but Kevin has told me a little about how they each have had  very active and successful local  music careers, and that being able to bring it together in this band has been a realization of a goal for all of them.  They are also writing and recording their own music, so we hope to hear a demo from them soon.

Photo Preview  Photo


Photo

Mike Carper, lead vocalist


You can follow “The ReTRo Band” on www.reverbnation.com and on FACEBOOK, and you can stay informed about their upcoming gigs if you’re from Virginia.  Maybe we can convince them to come up into the Metro DC market and put on a show for all of us someday.  I know I’d love to hear them and see Kevin again; it’s been 30 years since we last saw one another.  Hey, maybe they’ll invite me to play a song with them.  Ha Ha Ha !!

They’ve got a few tunes on their ReverbNation website, so give them a listen.  The lead vocalist, Mike Carper, is very good and  so is Chad Campbell, their keyboard player. 

Now, don’t forget to give your kids a big hug tonight, show them that you love em’.  Then until next time;

Musician By Night

MusicianByNight_04Small

 

No comments:

Post a Comment