Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Shredding; Can I Play Like The Pros ?:

 

I’ve often wondered what shredding was until I started listening to Paul Gilbert.  His rapid fire guitar licks just fascinated and intrigued me, to say the least.  How does this man move his fingers that fast?  I mimicked a lot of the 70’s & 80’s guitar licks from such rock legends as Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, Eric Clapton and many others but none of them could hold a candle to the speed of Paul Gilbert.

3021792_420x300_mb_art_R0  JimmyPage 010

   Billy Gibbons / ZZ Top                       Jimmy Page / Led Zeppelin

Eric Clapton 013  Al DiMeola 001

                     Eric Clapton                                            Al DiMeola


Now I also follow Al DiMeola; the world renowned jazz fusion artist who’s speed on the neck is incredible. Coupled with his unique  style where he  mutes the strings even as he’s shredding.  In fact, it’s hard to tell, but he is probably quicker than Paul;  however Paul actually teaches the shredding guitar style that I’m currently interested in learning where Al concentrates on jazz format and scales.  

     Paul Gilbert 035           Paul Gilbert 022

Paul Gilbert

Paul Gilbert 036  Paul Gilbert 033


I plan to keep training each and every day; at least an hour a day to improve my overall guitar playing skills.  I take an extra hour each day, when possible, to devote entirely to shredding exercises, scales and licks.  I plan to follow Paul Gilbert’s Lesson Plan to start and we’ll see how far that takes me.  Last night I was very happy with my progress after two days working on shredding a three (3) note lick or triplet that his lesson plan started with.   Tonight I’ll do a review and move on to the four note lick if I can stay awake.  It’s been a long, stressful day in my work world today.   Tonight should be interesting !!!!

Hope you enjoyed this post and are looking forward to what’s coming up next.  Take care and always remember to hug your kids and tell them that you love them !

Bob

Music-Notes_normal 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment