Friday, November 4, 2011

Watching Nik Kosmas [GC GARAGE] working on my 3-Color Sunburst, Highway One Fender Strat

Nik Kosmas at the GC GARAGE on 11-02-2011 004

I stopped in to see Nik today and get a first hand look at him working on my Highway One Fender Stratocaster.  He was getting it all cleaned up and preparing it for when the pickups  (Joe Barden S-Deluxe) come in. I purchased the GraphTech PS8000-00 String Saver Saddles and I brought a set of Fender Strap-Loks so that he could install them when he has the guitar on his bench.


DV019_Jpg_Regular_541530_001_942_blk_orange_both              711jpe4jVLS__AA1344_

My NEW Classic Fender Strat/Tele Hardshell Case (Black with a Dark Orange padded poodle plush interior) that I purchased from www.Musician’sFriend.com arrived today so my better half (Anita from http://sewvintagesofun.blogspot.com/) has offered to drop it off to Nik along with my NEW Levy's Veg Tan Leather (Cranberry) Guitar Strap.

Nik Kosmas at the GC GARAGE on 11-02-2011 003     Nik Kosmas at the GC GARAGE on 11-02-2011 006


My pickups should arrive early next week; when they get here, I’ll get them over to Nik right away so he can start the transformation of my  stock Fender Strat to a screaming, sweet sounding ax that plays like butter and has a beautifully outfitted, vintage guitar case much like that garage that you’d have to park your Porsche 911 Carrera S.

I wouldn’t trust anyone with my guitars but Nik.  I don’t know if you remember, I featured him and his company, GC GARAGE located inside The Guitar Center in Glen Burnie, MD.  He is a perfectionist; he handles each instrument with kid gloves.  Nik has experience with refinishing guitars as well as rebuilding them including all of the electronics.  During his tour in the US Air Force, he learned electrical engineering which has paved his way into becoming the best guitar technician in the Metro DC market.

Nik Kosmas at the GC GARAGE on 11-02-2011 001

Very soon, the plan is for Nik and I to take our music skills and merge them along with another guitarist/vocalist and/or a keyboardist/vocalist and hit the local market.  We have many plans including getting ourselves booked as an opening act for some of the big name acts coming thru the Baltimore/Washington area.   Hopefully we’ll have all of our guitars in tip-top shape before we are ready to play venues such as Rams Head in Annapolis, MD or the Blues Alley Jazz Club in Georgetown, DC. 

2005 Fender American standard Stratocaster 02     2005 Fender American standard Stratocaster 03     2005 Fender American standard Stratocaster 01

Once Nik finishes customizing my 3-Color Sunburst Highway One Strat for me, I may have another one in mind for him to start on.  I just stumbled upon a (blue) 2005 American Standard Stratocaster where the finish is all worn, scratched and nicked from heavy usage.  It reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Signature Strat.  I showed it to Nik and he said that he did some work on that very guitar a while back.  For now, I’d leave it as is except for changing the saddles to the GraphTech String Saver’s and having Nik checking out the neck and the electronics to make sure everything is A-OK and changing the strings to my favorite, D’Addario Chromes, Half Rounds (0.011 thru 0.052).

GC Garage_001 


Chris Hauska is jammin' on the rhythm guitar at Tommy Joe's 07-02-08 022

I’ll keep you posted on my path to taking ‘MUSICIAN BY NIGHT’ LIVE along with Nik, who is an accomplished bass player/guitarist and another good friend of mine, consummate guitarist/vocalist, Chris Hauska.  Chris has played in a number of good rock & acoustic rock bands in the Baltimore/Washington Region.   I’ve even had the pleasure of filling-in at some of their gigs.  Chris’ voice is outstanding; a lot like Bruce Springsteen or Dave Matthews.


Here is ADAMS EDEN playing at Tommy Joe’s in Bethesda, MD on July 5th 2008; a 3-piece band that rocked that local after work hangout for many of the office personnel in the Bethesda Marketplace.

Chris Hauska is singing lead at Tommy Joe's 07-02-08 005  Bob (Squirrel) Janicki on lead guitar at Tommy Joe's 07-02-08 018A (4)  Chris Hauska is singing lead at Tommy Joe's 07-02-08 016


Now TGIF so enjoy your evening and especially, your weekend ahead.  If you’re into College Football, tomorrow night’s game will be a good one between #1 LSU and #2 Alabama.  The game’s on at 2:30PM EST; don’t miss it!  Of course keep practicing your scales and your chord patterns if you want to get better.

Until next time;

Musician By Night . . .

MusicianByNight_01-Large

No comments:

Post a Comment