Wednesday, August 17, 2011

There’s Music in our family:

DSC01026

    For as long as I can remember, there’s  been music in our family.  Going back to when I was very young, I remember my father playing his accordion around the house whenever he had some free time. Also, when we visited with anyone who had a upright piano or organ, he liked to tinker around and play some well known tunes, which often included some of the polka music that I was not too keen on at that age. But you could tell that my Dad loved to play music, as it always brought a big smile to his face, and it made me happy to see him smile.

What inspired this post; just recently, at 90 years old, my dad picked up his accordion and began playing it, once again,  after it being packed away in the attic for who knows how many years.  He wiped off the keys and just started playing, and it was amazing.  Thanks to my brother and his wife, they quickly got a short video of it with their iPhone and sent it to me.  Here it is for you to enjoy; I also hope you appreciate it as I do.  I just had to share it with all of you because he is a true inspiration to any musician.

My 90 year old father is rockin’ my brothers house in St. Petersburg, FL with his accordion for the first time in many years. Go Daddy Go !

My next memory belongs to my only (older) brother, Tony who played the keyboards in a local rock band back in the late 60’s.  I was so proud of him and engrossed in their music that I used to sit inside the drummer’s bass drum during their practice sessions at our house. They played a lot of the Beatles music along with other top 40 hits at that time.  They played the local high school circuit as well as parties for school events that took them a little bit outside the city lines, which I thought was cool.

While Tony was playing in his band, our Dad had picked up a part-time job at a local music store, Osiecki Brothers Music Center, after work to help make things a bit easier around the house. After an unexpected fire in the store, they held a week long “Fire Sale” and our Dad took the week off of his daytime job to work at the music store. By the end of the week, he had earned enough in commission’s to buy my brother a brand new organ and me, a NEW

Classic 65' Princeton Reverb Amp  Fender Classic 65' Mustang, Olympic White

Fender 65’ Mustang electric guitar with a Fender 65’ Princeton-Reverb amplifier. I was in 7th heaven because I was going to learn how to play the guitar now.  I was going to be a real Rock Star !

Bob in 1969_Small (2)

I remember the photo they took of me in 1969 at Osiecki Bros. Music Center after the store was renovated due to the fire.  They had a huge acoustic guitar in the store for a prop to help sell Gibson Acoustic guitars.  Check out my cool striped pants !  Ha Ha Ha !!!


DSC02442Then there’s my better-half, Anita; she was a clarinetist starting in elementary school and continuing through middle school and high school. Through the years she also learned how to play saxophone, flute and piccolo.  She has always been a lover of music and truly appreciates the work that I do to better myself.  Now she devotes her life to her new blog called “Sew, Vintage, So Fun!“ ,   Sewing, crafting and living green, selling clothing through her on-line businesses and (of course) taking care of me!  

Next is my son Chris who just turned 28 on August 4th.  He’s always loved music and found ways to be involved one way or another.  Since he could walk and talk he started to sing and dance, and he’s a natural entertainer.  He was blessed with a beautiful voice and sang in many different venues over his years in elementary, middle and high school, in fact he even sang the key solo for their graduation ceremony which turned out to be more like a musical starring Chris Janicki; it was a fabulous production and my son was the center of attention.

Chris' Graduation Day May 29th, 2002 019

Chris singing “The World’s Greatest” at his Graduation Ceremony 

Chris also sang in the Maryland State Boy’s Choir and held honors as both the youngest member ever accepted into the choir, and as a soloist. 

Then there’s his older brother  Dave who will be 31 years old this August 24th; I still can’t believe it.  Dave has the ear and the talent to play the guitar, but always seems to be far too busy; all wrapped up in his job.  I was just like him for many years until I realized how much of life was passing me by and I was missing. Check out the photos below of Dave playing one of his acoustic-electric guitars that is part of his small guitar collection so far.

Ibanez EW Series Classical guitar

  This is a photo of his Ibanez EW Series EWN28BGENT Cutaway Nylon String, Acoustic-Electric Classical Guitar.

 


DSC02684 (2)  DSC02685 (4)

I’m with my son Dave as he plays his Ibanez Classical Nylon String Guitar


I know that now he’ll devote some real practice hours to learning how to play the guitar better than he does now.  His next step is to acquire a nice amplifier for both of his guitars.  Since they’re acoustic-electric’s a Fender Acoustasonic 30 DSP Combo Amp with Effects is the way to go.  I just found  a nice used model at the Guitar center in Glen Burnie, MD but we’re not ready to purchase one quite yet, so we need to keep our eye’s open for another used model real soon just in case that one is sold.

Fender Acoustisonic 01  Fender Acoustisonic 02A  Fender Acoustisonic 03

An upgraded version of Fender ' s best-selling Acoustasonic 30, its 30W amp drives an 8" LF driver plus tweeter. Lightweight and portable, it ' s an ideal choice for handling acoustic-electric instruments and vocals. The mic and instrument channels have independent EQs. A phase switch controls feedback while the String Dynamics control reins in harsh treble on the instrument channel. The mic channel has phantom power. The line out lets you go direct to a mixer. DSP effects include reverb, delay, chorus, and more. An optional footswitch controls effects switching on both channels.


Eli playing the drums

 

Our Grandson Eli (Chris’ son) is the next Janicki family member who also has music in his blood. He seems to love it already at the early age of 2. To the right is a photo of him playing the drums along with a play-along game called Rock Band. In that game, he gets to follow numerous rock songs from different rock bands.  Eli just loves it.

 

We also have photos of Eli starting to get interested in the guitar.  Check out the photos below; he’s really got the music in his soul !!

DSC02623  DSC02624 (3)

DSC02628 (2)  DSC02625


These are just a few photos of my family members who have musical interests of some sort or another.  I will share more with you in later posts as I locate them.  It certainly helps explain to me why I have so much passion for music, and instills in me a profound respect for those professional musical families out there.

I hope you enjoyed this post, I certainly enjoined gathering the photos to put it together for you.  Have a nice evening and don’t forget to give your kid’s a big hug !  Until next time;

Bob

MusicianByNight_04Small

2 comments:

  1. This is just amazing.. It is such a nice thing to see how much of an impact we have on our family members~ especially with something as great as music. You must feel so honored that your partner, sons, and grandson have further developed and strengthened their gifts of music. I can only imagine how proud you must feel. Just as your father feels about you!
    All very beautiful and talented.
    Keep updating, keep playing, and keep the sound of the music always with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello faith1st888, and thanks for stopping by. Your kind words are much appreciated! I hope that you'll keep reading and comment from time to time.

    Best;

    Bob

    ReplyDelete