Sunday, August 14, 2011

My Weekend Workout / Week Three:

DSC01037

In this third week of the program, the concentration is going to remain on the major scales, but we’re moving on to the second mode and more focus will be given to all the arpeggios.  Learning the Second Mode of the Major Scale; Dorian Mode or (Dorian Scale) and then concentrating on the im7 Arpeggio’s will help build our fingerboard vocabulary.  Please remember, I’m taking this rather slow because I want to drill it into me.  If you are bored with my plan, don’t knock it; just move on to another lesson plan that best fits your skill level.

Let’s get started;

Week No. 3: The Major Scale (Dorian Mode or Dorian Scale)

The Second Mode of the Major Scale: The Dorian Mode, still working on the Standard, 3-Notes/String and the imaj7 Arpeggio in all seven patterns.  Remember, I’m using Guy’s Scales Modes and Arpeggios (see photo #1) lesson plan which is very easy to follow but is also a complete comprehensive presentation that leverages a very similar grid structure in the context of scales that we’ll see in Guy’s Grids (see photo #2) in a later post when we cover chords and chord patterns.

Guys_ScalesModesArpeggios_thumb Guys-Grids-Chords-Structure_thumb1

                 Photo #1                                                  Photo #2


The Dorian Scale is outlined on Page 14 of Guy’s Scales, Modes & Arpeggios.  I suggest you order the program so you have it to follow along with me; it is a fabulous lesson plan for us guitarists. Concentrate your efforts on the 3-Notes/String and the im7 Arpeggio’s.  Play them over and over while you continue to play the Week One and Two Lesson Plan’s.  I suggest you take one key and learn the Ionian Scale, then learn the Dorian Scale in the same key.  Then practice tying both scales together and play them against a song recorded on CD.

I hope you follow along with me and keep working these scales.  I know for a fact that learning the scales and identifying with the fingerboard are the two most important issues when training to become a professional guitarist.  I’ll never stop practicing the major scales, I know that for a fact.

Have a great evening and don’t forget to give your kids a hug.  I have a few good post’s coming up that I’ve been working on so until next time. 

Bob . . . . .  

MusicianByNight_03Small

  

No comments:

Post a Comment