Sunday, July 10, 2011

Amplifiers, Guitar Effects and Bass Guitar:

 

The next item that is important to the studio is my combination bass guitar and amplifier set-up. In this case, the Schecter Diamond Series bass guitar fit the bill along with a traditional AMPEG BA-115 bass amp with a 15” speaker. That combination works well in the studio because it offers the punch and color required to get whatever sound needed to blend with the guitar and keyboards.

Ampeg Bass Guitar Amp_01_thumb[6] 2004 Schecter Diamond Series Bass Guitar_thumb 2004 Schecter Diamond Series Deluxe-4 Bass Guitar HeadStock_thumb[6]


My arsenal of guitar amplifiers and guitar effects has grown and is almost complete at this point. With the Fender Deluxe 900, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (tube amp) and the Peavey Transformer 112 (Modeling Amp), just about any sound can be duplicated and recorded for my music genre. However, if possible, I would love to add a Mesa Boogie Mark 5 Combo someday (see photo below).

Mark5-Combo-left_fs_tmb_thumb The MARK V is really a collection of amplifiers. There are far too many circuits and sounds to think of it as merely an amp. It is also a living history of the Mesa Boogie company. From the groundbreaking MARK I that introduced the world to high-gain with it’s cascading pre amp, to the Mark II - the world’s first high gain Dual Mode Channel Switching amplifier and it’s later siblings that introduced Simul-Class™power. From the MARK III that ushered in the era of 3 Channel footswtching performance, to the MARK IV which gave all this power individual control, the MARK V is the embodiment of the last 40 years of guitar amp history.

JanRock Recording Studio 004_thumb[10] JanRock Recording Studio 006_thumb[6]

Bob's Music Room 2005 081_thumb[6] Bob's Music Room 2005 083_thumb[6]


The last item that I have been contemplating is whether to use digital or analog recording equipment.  Back in 2005, I purchased the first version of the M-Box which operates around Pro-Tools LE recording software’ which I feel is extremely complicated for a novice computer software technician to learn and operate; especially at the same time that I’m trying to revive my guitar skills.  It has been almost impossible . . . . . . . .

For that reason, I like the idea of going the analog route and using the TASCAM 2488neo 24-track Standalone Digital Audio Workstation with CD-RW Drive, 19 Faders, Eight Inputs, and Mastering Effects.  It is reasonably priced, $ 699.99 at http://www.Sweetwater.com .

TASCAM_Logo

TASCAM 2488 006  TASCAM 2488 004

TASCAM 2488 003


Continuing my quest back into the music business, my Home Recording Studio will play a big role, so it needs to be as user friendly and up-to-date as I can afford to make it.  So I’ll be continually tweaking and adding equipment (piece-by-piece); allowing me to improve the overall quality of the recordings that I’ll be able to produce in the studio. I only hope someday to produce a CD of my own original music. I really believe that if you have the talent and the drive to make a change in your life, you should make the attempt and go for it or else you’ll live your life always wondering WHAT IF.

If you fall into this category, don’t let anyone hold you back or make you feel like you aren’t good enough. If you believe that you are then you are, and if you want to give it a try than you should. Good Luck ! 

Have a great evening and enjoy it with your family !!  Remember to give your kids a hug today . . . . . . . .

Bob

Jammin' all the Way

1 comment:

  1. Curious to hear more about your pedalboard, effects, and how you sequence them. I've kept mine pretty simple, Boss TU-2 tuner, Blues Driver, and a delay. I want to get a loop station, and was hoping to get your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete